A common area for eczema to flare-up is on my arms. My arms will break out in red rashes, spots or bumps; and becomes terribly itchy.
It’s also hard to hide. When I am holding on to the MRT handrail, or grabbing the bus pole, people notice my red rashy and blistery skin, and it makes me terribly self-conscious.
People will avoid you because they think eczema is contagious (it’s not), or approach you to offer generic advice (“have you tried not scratching?”). And of course, the more I scratch, the worse it often becomes.
What causes arm eczema?
Our arms are usually exposed and touching many different things throughout the day. For example, your elbows and forearms get in contact with arm rests on the bus seats, or with your office chair, or with the greasy table at the hawker centre. And your forearms are the first to get UV exposure when you drive or cycle, making your skin hot and dry. At the same time, sweat tends to accumulate at the crease of our inner elbow.
This constant exposure to dust, grime, sweat and UV can lead to a flareup, causing a cycle of inflammation, itching, scratching, and further skin damage.
How to treat arm eczema
Here are a few important steps to calm down any flareup on your arms:
- Cleanse: Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser that won’t strip your skin of its natural oils. Avoid hot water. Gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel rather than rubbing vigorously
- Disinfect: Scratching your arms can introduce bacteria and cause infection, which in turn makes the area even more itchy and take longer to heal. Use a disinfecting gel to kill bacteria. You will find that it also helps calm the itching right away
- Moisturise: Keep your arms well-hydrated with a hypoallergenic, fragrance-free moisturiser or natural oil to create a protective barrier
- Protect: Add a physical fabric barrier, such as arm sleeves to keep external triggers away. Arm sleeves also give you a constant reminder to avoid scratching. Plus, the right arm sleeve material will help to keep your skin cool, while remaining breathable
The role of arm sleeves for eczema
Eczema sleeves are made from gentle and breathable materials to provide relief and protection to your arms. They act as a shield against external irritants and allergens, which can exacerbate your eczema. By creating a protective barrier between your skin and potential triggers, eczema sleeves help reduce the risk of flare-ups.
Moreover, eczema sleeves can play a pivotal role in maintaining the right moisture balance for your skin. These sleeves help lock in your skin’s natural moisture and also prevent excessive drying, reducing itchiness and discomfort.
Additionally, these sleeves can provide an added layer of protection against temperature fluctuations and environmental factors. They keep your skin cool and dry in the hot sun, while providing warmth when you step into an air-conditioned building.
Introducing DERMASILK® arm sleeves
DERMASILK eczema sleeves are crafted from a patented therapeutic silk knit fabric that boasts remarkable benefits for your skin, and is a game-changer in eczema management.
When it comes to arm sleeves, people would commonly think of cotton. However, DERMASILK® sleeves are made from fibroin, a protein that is found in silk. And it is well known that silk clothes, pillowcases and bedsheets feel cooler and smoother on skin.
Fibroin is composed of the same amino acids found in human skin. This unique similarity promotes collagen synthesis and skin regeneration. It acts as a natural ally for your skin, protecting it when it’s compromised and promoting its balance and functions. In fact, silk fibroin is also used in surgical stitching threads.
Characteristics of DERMASILK®
The innovative combination of nature and high technology gives DERMASILK® unique characteristics that set it apart from other fabrics:
- It’s Like Skin: Silk fibroin closely resembles human skin, sharing the same amino acids found in the stratum corneum, the outermost layer of the skin. This similarity allows it to protect and support the skin, promote collagen synthesis, and aid in re-epithelialization
- It’s Soft and Gentle: DERMASILK® features long and perfectly smooth threads that prevent mechanical friction and irritation
- It’s Cool and Breathable: The specific yarn used in DERMASILK® and its knitting process result in exceptional breathability. This feature helps keep your skin fresh and dry while controlling perspiration
- It Promotes the Right Moisture Balance: DERMASILK® has exceptional hygroscopic capacity, rapidly absorbing and releasing excess humidity and sweat. This maintains an optimal humidity level between the fibers, ensuring your skin remains hydrated without becoming overly moist
- It’s Thermoregulating: As an animal fiber, silk has the remarkable ability to regulate body temperature even in conditions of excessive humidity. Unlike synthetic or plant-based fabrics, absorbed sweat doesn’t get cold, preventing temperature-related discomfort
- It’s Very Pure: DERMASILK® garments feature 100% pure silk fibroin in contact with your skin. They have been carefully processed to remove sericin, a substance found in silk that can occasionally trigger allergic reactions
- It’s Antimicrobial: DERMASILK® has an antimicrobial coating to prevent contamination by bacteria and fungi. By keeping your skin bacteria-free, it prevents further inflammation and infections
In summary, DERMASILK® is more than just a fabric; it’s a therapeutic tool for managing eczema that could be just as effective as treatment with steroids. Its unique characteristics, including its resemblance to human skin, comfort, breathability, and antimicrobial properties, make it an excellent choice for those seeking effective relief from eczema symptoms.
DERMASILK® arm sleeves are now available in Singapore
You can now purchase the arm sleeves from Skinshare.sg, a specialised website for eczema care.
These sleeves can be worn under regular clothes when you are out and about during the day, or worn as nightwear while you sleep.
These sleeves can also be used as leg sleeves, offering protection, relief, and support for your skin. For those suffering from eczema, they are an indispensable part of any skin management regimen.