Every day, I get WhatsApp messages asking for product advice for their eczema. And one of the products that I frequently recommend is emu oil. This natural oil can help with a variety of skin conditions, including eczema, psoriasis, and sensitive skin.
But will it be effective for you? In this article, I will share the many benefits of emu oil for those suffering from eczema or sensitive skin, and share the stories of a few of my customers who have managed to calm their itchy, uncomfortable skin with the healing powers of emu oil. Let’s go!
Understanding Eczema and Its Symptoms
There was a Straits Times survey that said 21% of children and 11% of adults have eczema, and half of them could have it for the rest of their lives. It seems like a lot, doesn’t it? I couldn’t find statistics for back when I was a child, but it seems like eczema has become all too common among Singaporeans.
Eczema is uncomfortable and frustrating, and I also live with it every day. Outside of SG, eczema affects millions of people worldwide, causing redness, inflammation, and itching.
People expect there to be a drug that cures it overnight, but there’s no such thing. And finding the right treatment that works for each individual can be a challenge that takes years.
But, the good news is that there are many natural remedies that can help soothe eczema symptoms, and one of these remedies is emu oil.
Emu Oil Benefits for Eczema and Sensitive Skin
Emu oil has been used to treat skin conditions for 40,000 years – as a sunscreen; to treat wounds; as well as to soothe sensitive skin – and it is believed to be an effective way to relieve eczema symptoms.
Emu oil is extracted from the fat of the emu bird that lives in Australia. The oil contains high levels of omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids, which are essential for healthy skin.
Emu oil has a variety of benefits for eczema and sensitive skin, including:
- Moisturising: Emu oil is an occlusive moisturiser, meaning that it creates a barrier on the skin to prevent it from from losing hydration. Because the lipids in emu oil are very compatible with our skin, it is absorbed easily, and penetrates deep into the skin for long-lasting hydration. This is especially important for eczema sufferers, as dry skin can trigger eczema flare-ups.
- Anti-inflammatory: Emu oil contains compounds that have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. This can help to reduce inflammation and redness associated with eczema and sensitive skin. By reducing inflammation, you can calm the itchiness, and scratch less. And by scratching less, you prevent more inflammation. It’s a vicious cycle!
- Non-irritating: Emu oil is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog pores or cause breakouts. It’s also non-irritating, making it a great option for those with sensitive skin.
- Soothing: Emu oil has a soothing effect on the skin, making it a great option for those with eczema or other skin conditions that cause itching or discomfort.
Learn more: Benefits of emu oil
However, it is important to note that not all emu oils are created equal. To avoid triggering a flare-up due to synthetic chemicals and fragrances, it’s best to use an emu oil that does not have from additives or preservatives.
Y-Not Natural Omega 369 Emu Oil is a great option, because it’s 100% pure and natural, and contains a high concentration of omega fatty acids.
How to Use Emu Oil on Your Skin
My go-to method is to apply emu oil after cleansing and disinfecting any cracked or red areas. Here are my general steps:
- Patch test: Before using emu oil on your entire face or body, it’s important to do a patch test to ensure you’re not allergic to it (unlikely, but possible). Apply a small amount of emu oil to a patch of skin on your inner arm and wait 24 hours to see if you have any adverse reactions.
- Cleanse your skin: Before applying emu oil proper, make sure your skin is clean and free of any dirt, makeup, or other products. This will help ensure the emu oil is able to penetrate your skin and provide maximum benefits.
- Apply emu oil: Using clean fingers or a cotton ball, apply a small amount of emu oil to the affected area. You only need a few drops (see the video above). Massage it gently into your skin until it is fully absorbed.
- Use as needed: You can use emu oil on your skin as often as needed, but it’s typically recommended to use it at least twice a day for maximum benefits.
- Layer with moisturiser or ointment: If the area is really dry, I follow up with eczema ointment (also made with emu oil). This creates a barrier that keeps my skin protected when I sleep.
Store emu oil in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight or heat. Remember to keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use to prevent oxidation and maintain the oil’s freshness. Or else it could go rancid, just like olive oil.
Can I use emu oil for psoriasis?
Yes you can. Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition that affects the skin, causing it to become red, scaly, and itchy. Although there is no cure for psoriasis, emu oil can help manage the symptoms.
To use emu oil for psoriasis, apply a small amount of the oil to the affected area and gently massage it in. You can use emu oil in combination with other psoriasis treatments, to help enhance their effectiveness.
Results from others (before and after emu oil)
I’m happy to report that my customers overwhelmingly report good results from using emu oil for their eczema. Here are some of their stories:
Girl’s peeling eczema hands healed in 3 weeks without steroids
Now she can play the harp again!
Woman was afraid to bathe because her eczema stung so badly
Thankfully her arms cleared up.
Try it for yourself
Emu oil has shown to be a promising natural remedy for those suffering from eczema and other skin conditions. Its anti-inflammatory and moisturising properties make it an ideal choice for those with sensitive and dry skin. Many of my customers have reported positive results after using it skin concerns on different parts of their body.
If you are considering trying emu oil, it is important to choose a high-quality product like Y-Not Natural Omega 369 Emu Oil. This product is made from 100% pure emu oil and contains essential fatty acids that are beneficial for the skin. It is also free from harmful additives and chemicals, making it safe to use even for those with sensitive skin.
Disclaimer: Emu oil is not a replacement for prescribed medication.